On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:57:57PM -0500, Nick Tarleton wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2004 03:10 pm, S wrote:
> > When you start Freenet, it immediately tries to connect to as many nodes
> > as possible, from the pool of nodes that it knows about. If what you're
> > seeing is a bandwidth spike that goes away after a couple of minutes,
> > it's probably connections being opened. I imagine that handshaking with
> > 50+ nodes could use up all of your bandwidth for awhile.
> >
> > It could certainly be something else, though. Check out the Environment
> > page from the web interface, go to "Pooled Thread Consumers" and you can
> > see what the threads are doing. (Caveat: by loading the main web
> > interface page, you're initiating requests for the activelink images of
> > the index pages. To avoid this, bookmark the Environment page and go
> > straight there as soon as the node starts.)
>
> You're right:
>    Class                                                          Threads used
>    Checkpoint: Opening connection                                           56
>    freenet.interfaces.LocalNIOInterface$ConnectionShell                      1
>    freenet.node.states.data.DataStateInitiator                               1
>    freenet.node.states.data.TrailerWriteCallbackMessage:true:true            1

Woah. This is improved upon (less simultaneous parallel connections) by
code currently undergoing testing in unstable (amongst other things we
limit the number of connection openers at any one time to 20, however it
would probably go on for longer...). The DataStateInitiator is
interesting (it means the node is receiving a reply to a request), but
there's only one of it..

> I used Lynx to be sure there were no extraneous requests.
> It's odd that with so many connections to other nodes, I still get RNFs
> frequently that say "Attempts were made to contact 2 nodes", or even 0, as I
> reported previously.

How many connections are actually open at this point? Advanced mode ->
Node Status -> Routing Table?