On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 07:44:11PM +0000, Michal Charemza wrote:
> Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie, so I'm not 100% sure that my answer is right,
> but I think I can help:
>
> >I know. Perhaps I should clarify: it begins to download as soon as I run
> >start-freenet.sh,
> >
> As soon as you start freenet your node (i.e. your computer) doesn't just
> 'connect' to the freenet network, it really becomes 'part' of the
> network, routing requests and data about the network. That is to say:
> requests for data are sent to your node from others, and if the data
> isn't already on your node, it may sent the request to other nodes it's
> connected to. If data is found, it is passed to your node, which will
> pass it back to the node from which the request came. Your node may
> decide to keep this data in case it is requested in the future.

It usually takes a while though.

> >and keeps going for a while, even before I access
> >fproxy/run any clients.
> >

> The above all happens before you even access fproxy or run any clients.
> This happens on all nodes (although I'm not too sure about transient
> nodes... not quite sure what they are)... however:
>
> >This is something of a problem, as I use dial-up.
> >
> It says somewhere if you don't have a stable IP address (usually if you
> have a dial up connection)... maybe you should "transient node" in
> freenet config. My internet is really dodgy at the minute (although
> clearly I can send e-mail!) so I can't check the website, but I imagine
> is should say something there about it. I'm not sure what effect this
> would have though.

Well... on unstable, this is slightly different: all nodes connected,
INCLUDING TRANSIENTS, are in the routing table, and transients are
expected to handle queries like the rest of the network. However their
node references are not passed on IIRC, so they probably won't get as
much traffic as non-transients... Also policy on which nodes to drop
when we get a new connection is based primarily on routing performance,
so if transients don't serve queries they won't work very well...