On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 02:13:09PM -0500, Nick Tarleton wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2004 12:25 pm, Christian Menz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > that _is_ freenet. It retrieves data, stored to your disk. When you query
> > data, you retrieve from disks of other users :)
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > Am Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:02:04 -0500 hat Nick Tarleton
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> geschrieben:
> > > When I start Freenet build 5076. it downloads a rather large amount of
> > > data.
> > > Is this some kind of prefetching? Can it be turned off?
>
> I know. Perhaps I should clarify: it begins to download as soon as I run
> start-freenet.sh, and keeps going for a while, even before I access
> fproxy/run any clients. This is something of a problem, as I use dial-up.
> I've heard of prefetching the start-page links; if this is it, can it be
> turned off? I see no related option in freenet.conf.

Hmm. What we download on startup:
* The links on the front page. These could conceivably be up to 1MB
  each, but they aren't. They are however a number of smaller files. DFI
  is 64kB now, and TFE is probably more than that.
* The various distribution servlet files. These are used for the "Spread
  Freenet" option. But they are only downloaded once unless something is
  really wrong - they should be cached in the "distrib" directory.