Jay Oliveri wrote:
[...]
| days.  Did you leave it running while properly opening up the port it
uses
| for incoming connections in your firewall (if needed)?

Yes.  It's on the "firewall" machine, which really only does NAT anyway.

| I have an 2.5G Athlon XP w/ 1G of RAM and I don't notice that it's
running.
| It tends to play nice on my system regardless of my success in getting
any
| data out of it.

I'm talking about bandwidth, and it runs on said "firewall" machine -- a
200 mhz emachine.

| not sure my archives even go back that far, but the basis for choosing
Java
| should be obvious; platform independence and a rich API that comes
standard
| with the language.

As a purely academic argument, Parrot and .NET both do those things now,
and an API doesn't seem like it'd help that much with Freenet.  It's not
the interface that's broken.

| You don't have much experience with Java then.  Freenet is atypical of a

I'm glad I don't have much experience with Java.  I'll say no more.

| All this aside, when routing doesn't work in Freenet it can't be
blamed on

I like to blame Java, but you're right.

| helping matters much.  It's hoped this will change when one of the Free
| Software implementations of Java (gcj, Kaffe) becomes more stable wrt
| Freenet.

Good luck (and I don't mean that sarcastically).  I've never gotten
Kaffe to run a Hello World program.