Dear Toad et al,

I am a fan of freenet and its ideals, but the vulnerability to local
evesdropping now seems to me to be a BIG flaw, given the Orwellian environment.

I read somewhere that Toad said it is an aim to eventually encrypt all traffic
between nodes.

I'm sure this has been thought of before, but is there any reason at all why
nodes or a growing subset of nodes can't simply each point their traffic through
Stunnel or something similar so that internode traffic is SSL-encrypted with
Open SSL?  It's free and the Stunnel developer may even like the idea.

http://www.stunnel.org/
http://stunnel.mirt.net/news.html
http://www.freebsddiary.org/stunnel-v4-man.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/security/library/s-stun.html

(I've cross-posted this to the developed list).

P.