"Are you saying that hosts are required to support MTUs of at least 576 bytes? People have said that some dialup connections use 256 byte MTUs... "

Since it says "HOSTS MUST NOT SEND DATAGRAMS LARGER THAN 576 OCTETS" there is no inherent contradiction when it is *smaller* then 576, me thinks?

However, I've searched the net a bit too, and looked at my tuningtools to see what they suggest for dial-ups/ISDN, and I must say, they all seem to agree on a typical 576, indeed. I guess you could look at it as 512 + overhead? ;-)