Kathryn A. Graham wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I would like to request some assistance.  I am a writer working on a
> book on cyber-security.  This led me to Freenet and the concept of a
> Darknet.

<snip>

1st, im not a Freenet developer but only an old time user. Thought you
should know.

I write a freesite that is specifically aimed at new users, the idea is
to have a one-site Freenet resource where newbies can find out what
Freenet can do and how to do it (basic tutorials).  It's a long way from
completed but it does include some usable info.

It's called FAFS - the Freenet Applications FreeSites and it's linked in
the FProxy default bookmarks.
There you should find most of the basic info and figure out where to go
to get more detailed info.
> Freemail appears to be working for me, but I can't receive messages,
> either to my long "real" address, or to the shorter address I created.

Freemail is horribly buggy. Some say that 'it works on odd tuesdays if
the date sums up to a multiple of 7'

> I also have FMS
> installed and running, but I can't seem to announce my identity.  It's
> been several days, and I have yet to receive a single captcha to
> complete.
If I was still using FMS, I would bootstrap your ID adding each other as
peers manually. But I'm not using FMS and neither are ... pretty much
anyone.
FMS was a proof of concept for the WoT (web of trust)  which IMHO failed
miserably at the 'jerk test' (people abuse the WoT to try and censor
'immoral' users, instead of using it for what it's designed to do).
In addition, FMS was never actually subjected to flood attacks trying to
DoS it, so we dont 'really' know if the WoT would actually do the job
that it's supposed to do.

However, it seems that ATM there isnt any feasible alternative to WoT,
so it's been decided to use WoT for the next official Freenet messaging
system, which is called Freetalk and will be bundled with Freenet 0.8
when it's released in a few months.
You can run Freetalk loading the Freetalk and WoT  plugins manually
(downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/plugins/ ...something)

Anyhow, see FAFS for more info about FMS (if you really want to use
that), Freetalk, and Frost <=try this

Short version:
Basically, all I've said is to have a look at FAFS for basic info about
Freenet, don;t run FMS (no-one uses it anyway) but stick to Frost and
possibly test Freetalk, and Freemail is buggy.