Kathryn A. Graham wrote:
> Thanks so much to Luke and others for your response!  I am attempting to
> implement Frost as I type this, and I got a good laugh over "sending IP
> address to the NSA."  I tried Freetalk as well, with the same result as
> FMS.  No captchas downloaded no matter what I did.  As you can tell by
> the delay in my answering your message, I tried it for a couple of
> days.  I think it is safe to say that no captchas were *going* to
> download, which concerns me.  There is evidently something in my
> configuration that is preventing me from using Web of Trust, although I
> can't figure out what it is.
>
> I have forwarded ports 11231, 57881, 9481 through my router and opened
> them through my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) as well.  I have confirmed
> that Windows Firewall is *not* running.  I have also rebooted several
> times. <g>  If there is something else I should check, I would
> appreciate learning about it.  My Windows version is XP Pro, latest
> updates and service packs.
>
> I've just minimized this message and noticed that Frost is hung at about
> 2/3 in its starting sequence.  I am now going to go drink a large cup of
> hemlock.  <sigh>
>
> A few moments later, it wants me to check my node is running - but it
> says it will start anyway.  Node is definitely running.  I have
> confirmed that the service is running, and through the web interface, I
> can see that I am connected to one friend and 11 strangers.  Now Frost
> is using about 55 percent of my CPU and doing nothing that I can see,
> but the splash screen has finally gone away.
>
> An hour later - my HD is being accessed like crazy, but still no sign of
> any application.  I'm clearly going to have to reboot.
>
> Terribly, terribly frustrating.  And the guy that maintains the active
> links page wants new sites announced in FMS, so even if I do get Frost
> working, somehow I still have to get Web of Trust stuff working also.
> I'm about to throw up my hands and give up.  Not worth it.  Damned
> shame, too - I'd already created a flog and an active link - needed only
> to write first blog entry and get it up there.  Grrrrr.
>
> Please - any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Kate

I can't help you with FMS, i've given up on that (i'm not going to rant about
it). It's still used by a few people but from what my node picks up there are
significantly more active conversations on Frost, unfortunately developers have
stopped reading all the bug reports there *cough*.

The problem seems to be that something has stopped Frost connecting to your
node. Is your node running on the same machine? If so then you did *not* need to
forward 9481 port on the router, but you might have needed to open it on Zone
Alarm anyhow (i'm not sure). Now, Zone Alarm also keeps track of what
applications try to access the network, Frost needs to be one of them, even
though it only accesses the node (and i believe you can specify that) it needs
to have that access, otherwise that might be causing the problem.

Can you check that and get back to me on the list?

             - Volodya

P.S. You don't want to post the Node ports on the open list, because this way
others will be able to know that it's you who has connected to them. Of course
if it doesn't matter, then it's ok, but it creates an atmosphere where others
may slip and post that info also.

- --
http://freedom.libsyn.com/       Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://eng.anarchopedia.org/     Anarchopedia, A Free Knowledge Portal
http://www.freedomporn.org/      Freedom Porn, anarchist and activist smut

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin