Hopefully the answer to Alex's question is: It can't be done.

If he can detect freenet nodes on his network, you must assume that
governments and the like can as well. I would rather we help Alex try
(and hopefully fail) in detecting nodes on his private home network,
than just ignore the fact that there are people out there (government,
corporate or private) who will in fact try.

And if we help Alex come up with a certain way of identifying nodes on
his home network, hopefully Freenet can be improved, to fight this
vulnerability.

Cheers
Søren