Michael Yip a écrit :
Hi,

My name is Michael and I'm currently studying the source code of Freenet.

I have found that the object reference for all PeerNode objects has the IP address of the peer associated with it. How is anonymity kept with the IP of the peer exposed? I have examined the log file and it seems the object reference of the peers are logged as they are added.

What I'm confused is since Freenet seek to promote freedom of speech in the presence of strict government control, if they decide to run a Freenet node and collect IP addresses in this manner, the consequences would be unthinkable....

I have tested this by adding another node of mine and my IP address appears as expected.

Can anyone explain to me why??

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael...
it is correct that your IP would be known by your neighbour node, but, he is the only one to be able to identify you... more, and beside the fact of being able to be sure that you are using Freenet (only sure of this), even so, he has no way of knowing if the info or file or whatever, coming to you, or going from you, did or not come or go 10 nodes away from you, since you act also (as a node) in passing packets... and anyway, even so, he is (and you are, and any of your neighbours) unable to know the content of the package, if you didn't create it yourself or ask yourself for it since only the original sender and final receiver are able to know it's content.
Hope it was clear...