Dsoslglece wrote:
> Michael Yip a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Michael and I'm currently studying the source code of Freenet.
>>
>> I have found that the object reference for all PeerNode objects has the
>> IP address of the peer associated with it. How is anonymity kept with
>> the IP of the peer exposed? I have examined the log file and it seems
>> the object reference of the peers are logged as they are added.
>>
>> What I'm confused is since Freenet seek to promote freedom of speech in
>> the presence of strict government control, if they decide to run a
>> Freenet node and collect IP addresses in this manner, the consequences
>> would be unthinkable....
>>
>> I have tested this by adding another node of mine and my IP address
>> appears as expected.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me why??
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Hi Michael...
> it is correct that your IP would be known by your neighbour node, but,
> he is the only one to be able to identify you... more, and beside the
> fact of being able to be sure that you are using Freenet (only sure of
> this), even so, he has no way of knowing if the info or file or
> whatever, coming to you, or going from you, did or not come or go 10
> nodes away from you, since you act also (as a node) in passing
> packets... and anyway, even so, he is (and you are, and any of your
> neighbours) unable to know the content of the package, if you didn't
> create it yourself or ask yourself for it since only the original
> sender and final receiver are able to know it's content.
> Hope it was clear...

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Taking from the point that IP addresses are known to your peers, I
have another question.

    I've noticed that the hop-to-live counter is decremented according
to the policy of:
     1)  the source node of the request,
     2) the node which recently reported fail for a data request or
     3) the node handling the request (usually because the node is the
source of the request)

    Ok, so what if I modify the code for my node so that:

    1) maxHTL = 1
    2) decrementAtMin = false
    3) disableProbabilisticHTLs = false

    Or simply,

    1) disableProbabilisticHTLs = true

   Would this mean that my peers would not forward my message any
further? This is because if so, this would allow me to probe my peers
using my set of keys for data....

Thanks,

Michael