On Sunday 18 October 2009 11:24:08 Toni Bergman wrote:

> I present you with my graph. I'm downloading music from freenet.

Thanks for your detailed bug report. However, based on your graph, which
contains clear evidence of copyright infringement (there *is* legal music on
Freenet, but the Thaw instance shown includes stuff that is almost certainly
not legal), you have just earned a permanent ban from the support list. Because
of this I will not be able to act on any of the issues you mentioned, as this
would be equivalent to providing tech support to known pirates. Please go away
and don't come back.

Sorry folks, but PIRACY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

This policy is the result of MGM vs Grokster, where the Supreme Court of the
United States of America found the defendant guilty because amongst other
reasons, it provided technical support to people it knew to be engaged in
copyright infringement. The EFF's peer to peer advice is not to provide tech
support at all, but IMHO this is more or less impossible for an open source
project. See here:
http://www.eff.org/wp/iaal-what-peer-peer-developers-need-know-about-copyright-law

Freenet Project Inc is incorporated in the USA under Californian law. I have a
responsibility not to get them into legal trouble, although I am based in
England.