Wow, that's a bit...extreme. I mean there's a _huge_ difference
between refusing to give someone support, which may or may not be
legal, and completely banning them. I mean just because _you_ can't
help him doesn't mean nobody else on this list can. Way to alienate a
rather significant percentage of the user base.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 October 2009 11:24:08 Toni Bergman wrote:
>>
>> I present you with my graph. I'm downloading music from freenet.
>
> Thanks for your detailed bug report. However, based on your graph, which
> contains clear evidence of copyright infringement (there *is* legal music on
> Freenet, but the Thaw instance shown includes stuff that is almost certainly
> not legal), you have just earned a permanent ban from the support list.
> Because of this I will not be able to act on any of the issues you mentioned,
> as this would be equivalent to providing tech support to known pirates.
> Please go away and don't come back.
>
> Sorry folks, but PIRACY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
>
> This policy is the result of MGM vs Grokster, where the Supreme Court of the
> United States of America found the defendant guilty because amongst other
> reasons, it provided technical support to people it knew to be engaged in
> copyright infringement. The EFF's peer to peer advice is not to provide tech
> support at all, but IMHO this is more or less impossible for an open source
> project. See here:
> http://www.eff.org/wp/iaal-what-peer-peer-developers-need-know-about-copyright-law
>
> Freenet Project Inc is incorporated in the USA under Californian law. I have
> a responsibility not to get them into legal trouble, although I am based in
> England.

Brian Flowers
Webmaster, PSU Amnesty International
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/amnesty

President, PSU Students for a Sensible Drug Policy
http://PennStateSSDP.org

Vice President, PSU Linux Users Group
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/lug

Treasurer, PSU Amateur Radio Club
http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/k3cr/

Developer, FCON (Freenet Classic OpenNet)
http://fcon.sourceforge.net