Hah, I don't really need a welcome, I've been here my whole life :)

And he wasn't using the email list to discuss illegal activities, he
was using the email list to get support for Freenet - exactly what it
is here for.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Mike Cook <mikec...@pipeline.com> wrote:
> Welcome to the USA. You need to be very careful these days in regard to
> any discussion of file sharing. There are many legal pitfalls and many
> with deep pockets just looking for an opportunity to sue. Like it or not
> email lists are not a place to discuss illegal activities whether you
> agree with the law or not.
>
> urza9...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Wow, that's a bit...extreme. I mean there's a _huge_ difference
>> between refusing to give someone support, which may or may not be
>> legal, and completely banning them. I mean just because _you_ can't
>> help him doesn't mean nobody else on this list can. Way to alienate a
>> rather significant percentage of the user base.
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Matthew Toseland
>> <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your detailed bug report. However, based on your graph, which
>>> contains clear evidence of copyright infringement (there *is* legal music
>>> on Freenet, but the Thaw instance shown includes stuff that is almost
>>> certainly not legal), you have just earned a permanent ban from the support
>>> list. Because of this I will not be able to act on any of the issues you
>>> mentioned, as this would be equivalent to providing tech support to known
>>> pirates. Please go away and don't come back.
>>>
>>> Sorry folks, but PIRACY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
>>>
>>> This policy is the result of MGM vs Grokster, where the Supreme Court of
>>> the United States of America found the defendant guilty because amongst
>>> other reasons, it provided technical support to people it knew to be
>>> engaged in copyright infringement. The EFF's peer to peer advice is not to
>>> provide tech support at all, but IMHO this is more or less impossible for
>>> an open source project. See here:
>>> http://www.eff.org/wp/iaal-what-peer-peer-developers-need-know-about-copyright-law
>>>
>>> Freenet Project Inc is incorporated in the USA under Californian law. I
>>> have a responsibility not to get them into legal trouble, although I am
>>> based in England.

Brian Flowers
Webmaster, PSU Amnesty International
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/amnesty

President, PSU Students for a Sensible Drug Policy
http://PennStateSSDP.org

Vice President, PSU Linux Users Group
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/lug

Treasurer, PSU Amateur Radio Club
http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/k3cr/

Developer, FCON (Freenet Classic OpenNet)
http://fcon.sourceforge.net