On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:08:19 +0100, folkert wrote:
> > > What about that the freenet daemon periodically
> > > (configurable/disable-ble of course) announces itself on the lan
> > > (s) to which it is connected? That way freenet-nodes can
> > > interconnect and speed up distribution of data.
> >
> > Data distribution on Freenet doesn't work like that. Data segments
> > are actually spread all across Freenet, ideally with no particular
> > peer having a large portion of a large splitfile. I don't think
> > having fast random LAN connections would speed things up -- the
> > bottleneck will still be the LAN's connection to the Internet. (Not
> > to mention the fact that it would be at least somewhat less secure.
> > (Better chance of traffic analysis and such tricks against you.))
>
> True, but it can be used to find a way to other nodes further down the
> path. This way one doesn't need to connect to the central seednodes to
> find ways to reach the global network/the rest of the freenet network.

Ah, for initial connection to Freenet that might be useful, although I
don't think it'll be used too often. (I have trouble finding Freenet
friends in my entire city -- let alone in my LAN :p.) You can add known
(and trustworthy) lan members to your list of darknet-friends, and
connect that way to Freenet without using any seednodes. Or you can
modify your seednodes.fref file by only including references to your
LAN nodes.

It's also not a good idea to be able to broadcast to anyone that you're
using Freenet. (To prevent them from blacklisting you, et cetera.) (The
whole point of Darknet mode was to make this impossible.)