On Friday 25 Feb 2011 19:53:49 folkert wrote:

> > We did think about an "is the lan trusted?" option some time ago. This
> > would both announce and open FCP and Fproxy. Unfortunately defining "the
> > lan" is hard, when big untrusted NATed networks (e.g. ISPs in russia etc)
> > often use private address space, and autodetecting it *reliably* is also
> > hard.
>
> You could make it configurable. Default: do not trust.

That was the whole idea. Unfortunately even detecting the LAN reliably isn't
that easy. It's possible, of course, but you end up with lots of convoluted
possibilities, and asking users questions that they probably don't know the
answer to ...

> > You should however peer with the other computers on your LAN, if you know
> > their operators, of course. Which hopefully you do if the LAN is trusted!
>
> Troublesome if everybody's on dhcp.

Right, we would need to be able to bind to a range rather than an IP (pick any
local interface in that range)...