If we look at the history of the Freenet project, we will see that there were
stable and unstable versions.  There were times that the unstable version was
more stable than the stable version.  New users were directed to the stable
version while the developers and some adventurous users would use the
unstable version.  The term stable and unstable referred to the level of
patching.  The new alpha 0.7 version would qualify as unstable.  The 0.5
network would qualify as the stable version.

I have not tried the 0.7 version and will not until there is an open net.

The 0.5 version is not too buggy.  There are thousands of users on the 0.5
network with many super nodes.  The up time of 0.5 nodes can be measured in
weeks.  The same can not be said for the 0.7 network.

I am curious why the push to the 0.7 code while it's still in the alpha stage?
Why did Freenet break with the method of version release that they have used
in the past?

I hope that the Freenet project will reconsider their decision to direct new
users to the unstable alpha 0.7 version instead of the stable 0.5 version.