There were good reasons, and we will try not to do it again before 1.0.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 01:18:13PM -0400, Rowland wrote:
> This is the sort of thing that happens when you break backward
> compatibility and/or interoperability. You throw away all the user base
> and goodwill you've built up over the years. THAT'S suicide.
> 
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 11:21, urza9814 at gmail.com wrote:
> > "Anyway, I won't argue on that because the decision is not in my hands.
> > The fact is that 0.7 is the only supported version and that it is the
> > future. Not linking to the current version and gripping to the old one
> > would be an interesting kind of suicide for a project that's a constant
> > work-in-progress..."
> > 
> > Suicide? So the fact that gaim has 1.5 in their downloads section when
> > they have 2.0 beta 3 out is suicide? The fact that some Linux distros
> > still use the 2.4 kernel is suicide? Funny how they're all still here
> > and quite popular....
> > Linking to 0.7 is suicide. New people come, download it, find there's
> > nothing there, and leave. And don't try again later. I understand that
> > there are good reasons behind developing the darknet....but for most
> > users looking at freenet, they're looking for an opennet. And they're
> > looking for a network up and running. They're not expecting something
> > that's just barely starting.
> > 
> > On 8/21/06, Julien Cornuwel <batosai at batosai.net> wrote:
> > > urza9814 at gmail.com a ?crit :
> > >
> > > > .7 has very few users, very little content, and no opennet.
> > > > It's useless for new users.
> > >
> > >
> > > I'm not sure stopping linking it on the website would help it have more
> > > users. About content, I see new freesites apearing quite the same rythm
> > > as on 0.5 so it's just a matter of time for 0.7 to have as much content
> > > as 0.5.
> > >
> > > > And the security that you say is better has yet to be tested. I
> > >
> > >
> > > Where did I say that ? In "the same security level." ?
> > > AFAIK, "the same" is not equal to "better". Maybe I'm wrong.
> > >
> > > > wouldn't bet on something that's only been around for a few months vs.
> > > > something that's been slowly improving for...well, longer than I've
> > > > known freenet.
> > >
> > >
> > > Anyway, I won't argue on that because the decision is not in my hands.
> > > The fact is that 0.7 is the only supported version and that it is the
> > > future. Not linking to the current version and gripping to the old one
> > > would be an interesting kind of suicide for a project that's a constant
> > > work-in-progress...
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Support mailing list
> > > Support at freenetproject.org
> > > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
> > > Unsubscribe at 
> > > http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
> > > Or mailto:support-request at freenetproject.org?subject=unsubscribe
> > >
> > >
> > >
> -- 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> My skills and contact info: http://www.blcss.com/contactme.php
> Public Freenet gateway: http://blcss.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Support mailing list
> Support at freenetproject.org
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
> Unsubscribe at http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
> Or mailto:support-request at freenetproject.org?subject=unsubscribe
> 

-- 
Matthew J Toseland - toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Freenet Project Official Codemonkey - http://freenetproject.org/
ICTHUS - Nothing is impossible. Our Boss says so.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: 
<https://emu.freenetproject.org/pipermail/support/attachments/20060821/29d7afc5/attachment.pgp>

Reply via email to