Oh no we won't give in, let's go living in the past.

A future that severs all connections with the past and present is no
future at all. It's just a fantasy.

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 13:44, Ortwin Regel wrote:
> It's not suicide, it's progression. The people who accept it will
> enjoy the new, better freenet, those who don't will continue to live
> in the past until they can be persuaded.

Persuaded how exactly? Are there guillotines involved?

> 
> On 21 Aug 2006 13:18:13 -0400, Rowland <rowland-wind at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>         This is the sort of thing that happens when you break backward
>         compatibility and/or interoperability. You throw away all the
>         user base
>         and goodwill you've built up over the years. THAT'S suicide.
>         
>         On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 11:21, urza9814 at gmail.com wrote:
>         > "Anyway, I won't argue on that because the decision is not
>         in my hands.
>         > The fact is that 0.7 is the only supported version and that
>         it is the 
>         > future. Not linking to the current version and gripping to
>         the old one
>         > would be an interesting kind of suicide for a project that's
>         a constant
>         > work-in-progress..."
>         >
>         > Suicide? So the fact that gaim has 1.5 in their downloads
>         section when
>         > they have 2.0 beta 3 out is suicide? The fact that some
>         Linux distros
>         > still use the 2.4 kernel is suicide? Funny how they're all
>         still here
>         > and quite popular.... 
>         > Linking to 0.7 is suicide. New people come, download it,
>         find there's
>         > nothing there, and leave. And don't try again later. I
>         understand that
>         > there are good reasons behind developing the darknet....but
>         for most 
>         > users looking at freenet, they're looking for an opennet.
>         And they're
>         > looking for a network up and running. They're not expecting
>         something
>         > that's just barely starting.
>         >
>         > On 8/21/06, Julien Cornuwel < batosai at batosai.net> wrote:
>         > > urza9814 at gmail.com a ?crit :
>         > >
>         > > > .7 has very few users, very little content, and no
>         opennet. 
>         > > > It's useless for new users.
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > I'm not sure stopping linking it on the website would help
>         it have more
>         > > users. About content, I see new freesites apearing quite
>         the same rythm 
>         > > as on 0.5 so it's just a matter of time for 0.7 to have as
>         much content
>         > > as 0.5.
>         > >
>         > > > And the security that you say is better has yet to be
>         tested. I
>         > >
>         > > 
>         > > Where did I say that ? In "the same security level." ?
>         > > AFAIK, "the same" is not equal to "better". Maybe I'm
>         wrong.
>         > >
>         > > > wouldn't bet on something that's only been around for a
>         few months vs. 
>         > > > something that's been slowly improving for...well,
>         longer than I've
>         > > > known freenet.
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > Anyway, I won't argue on that because the decision is not
>         in my hands. 
>         > > The fact is that 0.7 is the only supported version and
>         that it is the
>         > > future. Not linking to the current version and gripping to
>         the old one
>         > > would be an interesting kind of suicide for a project
>         that's a constant 
>         > > work-in-progress...
>         > >
>         > > Regards
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > _______________________________________________
>         > > Support mailing list
>         > > Support at freenetproject.org
>         > > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
>         > > Unsubscribe at
>         http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
>         > > Or
>         mailto:support-request at freenetproject.org?subject=unsubscribe
>         > >
>         > > 
>         > >
>         --
>         
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         My skills and contact info: http://www.blcss.com/contactme.php
>         Public Freenet gateway: http://blcss.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl
>         
>         
>         _______________________________________________
>         Support mailing list
>         Support at freenetproject.org
>         http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
>         Unsubscribe at
>         http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
>         Or
>         mailto:support-request at freenetproject.org?subject=unsubscribe
> 
> 
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Support mailing list
> Support at freenetproject.org
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support
> Unsubscribe at http://emu.freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/support
> Or mailto:support-request at freenetproject.org?subject=unsubscribe
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My skills and contact info: http://www.blcss.com/contactme.php
Public Freenet gateway: http://blcss.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl



Reply via email to