On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:56:13 -0700
gofer <fastartc at telus.net> wrote:

> My terminology was wrong: I should have said 'inserts', not 'uploads'.

for the most part we use the two terms interchangeably

>Under 'Current Activity' I see 'Inserts', 'Requests', and 'Transferring
>Requests'.

Ah, that's what you meant?
I thought you were talking about the upload/download (formerly 'queue') page
If you were talking about the Current Activity page, you can disregard my
answer to the other thread you initiated.

>I know that other nodes send requests, and that chunks of files are then sent
>to those nodes, but I thought I had to initiate an 'Insert'.

Yes you have to initiate an insert. That's when you choose a file from your box
and upload it to the freenet distributed storage. That's an insert, which we
often refer to as an upload.

> So, is an 'insert' and an 'upload' the same thing?

Even tho we often refer to insertions as 'uploads' that's not really the same
thing. Techincally, an upload is something from your datastore (therefore
already inserted into freenet) that's being transferred from your node to
another. That's an upload. Content already on freenet.

An insert on the other hand, is a file that you have on your box and you wish
to make available on freenet, so you 'insert' it. This is often referred to as
'uploading' to freenet, it may sound kind of of confusing but most of the times
when we say 'uploading' but mean 'inserting', the real meaning is self-evident
from the contest (if not, just ask)

> Also, would any files being inserted come from the cache? Or are any other
> folders on my computer 'shared'?

Uploaded can come to cache. A file that's traveling to node A to node D through
nodes B and C, is copied into the cache of all the boxes along the way (B and
C). But an upload can also come from your store, when the files (or encrypted
chunks) that are being trasnmitted are found in your store rather than using
your node as a transit point along a route.

NOTE: Everything in this post may be bullshit. I can't code and I don't really
understand Freenet, I can only use it. I 'think' I have understood some
concepts but don't take my word for revealed truth. At least not until someone
more competent confirms what I say (or calls it BS).

--
FAFS - The Freenet Applications FreeSite
USK at

freemail:
luke771 at
MJWEES3VJBMS2ZKMIJUECT3SJB3UK5SBKBAVQYJQO5FXGWSROE2USNDKNMZU2SK2ORXUKLDZJYWXQUSNMRYUCWD6IF3HAULWKRKWW2SJJVEGQQTDNNKGYMRWKFZW6V3ONNIDKQ3DKR3SYQKRIFBUCQKF.freemail