On Tuesday 23 September 2008 05:29, Luke771 wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:56:13 -0700
> gofer <fastartc at telus.net> wrote:
>
> > My terminology was wrong: I should have said 'inserts', not 'uploads'.
>
> for the most part we use the two terms interchangeably
>
> >Under 'Current Activity' I see 'Inserts', 'Requests', and 'Transferring
Requests'.

> Ah, that's what you meant?
> I thought you were talking about the upload/download (formerly 'queue') page
> If you were talking about the Current Activity page, you can disregard my
answer to the other thread you initiated.

> >I know that other nodes send requests, and that chunks of files are then
sent to those nodes, but I thought I had to initiate an 'Insert'.

> Yes you have to initiate an insert. That's when you choose a file from your
box and upload it to the freenet distributed storage. That's an insert, which
we often refer to as an upload.

> > So, is an 'insert' and an 'upload' the same thing?
>
> Even tho we often refer to insertions as 'uploads' that's not really the
same thing. Techincally, an upload is something from your datastore
(therefore already inserted into freenet) that's being transferred from your
node to another. That's an upload. Content already on freenet.

> An insert on the other hand, is a file that you have on your box and you
wish to make available on freenet, so you 'insert' it. This is often referred
to as 'uploading' to freenet, it may sound kind of of confusing but most of
the times when we say 'uploading' but mean 'inserting', the real meaning is
self-evident from the contest (if not, just ask)

> > Also, would any files being inserted come from the cache? Or are any other
folders on my computer 'shared'?

> Uploaded can come to cache. A file that's traveling to node A to node D
through nodes B and C, is copied into the cache of all the boxes along the
way (B and C). But an upload can also come from your store, when the files
(or encrypted chunks) that are being trasnmitted are found in your store
rather than using your node as a transit point along a route.

> NOTE: Everything in this post may be bullshit. I can't code and I don't
really understand Freenet, I can only use it. I 'think' I have understood
some concepts but don't take my word for revealed truth. At least not until
someone more competent confirms what I say (or calls it BS).

And most of it is. :)

There is no difference. But the stats on the homepage are *low level* inserts,
being passed through your node. On the downloads/uploads page, we are talking
about high level inserts originated by you.