...modern computers are also clever. Today nothing is unaccountable if we
know the formula and all variables. Audio is no mysterious. The complete
sonic field would be calculatable. The only problem is the huge amount of
variables. In principle, yet, we are able to calculate any wave front of the
source and any of her reflections in the recording room. The Wave Field
Synthesis provides the approach for handling the problem. The procedure can
synthesize the complete spatial distribution of all wave fronts. In
principle, also all reflections become to restore correct in time, level and
direction, at least in the horizontal level of the loudspeaker rows. The
really disturbing component always remained, as like at all other audio
playback, the additional playback room acoustics, which deliver unwanted
reflections.

However, at WFS we have a chance for avoiding that problem. All we need is
including the playback room properties into the synthesis. By this way
becomes possible, subtract the additional detours of single wave fronts in
the playback room. Never conventional procedure will be able to that,
because direct wave, first reflections and reverberation inseparably merge
together in the transmitting channels. Thus, the playback room unavoidably
remains the disturbing component in transmitting chain. No chance exists for
true spatial audio by that way, thereby. And no chance exists for
reproducing the source distance correctly in the traditional way.

Regards Helmut
www.holophony.net