> Dave said:
"Here, to any extent,  I depart from Gibson.  With sufficiently advanced
technology there comes a point at which the effort required to suspend
disbelief is so small as to be negligible. I was reading a report on a paper a
few months ago (I think in New Scientist) where the authors were
suggesting that some on-line gamers have difficult perceiving the "real world"
as actually being real when they come out of the games. This suggests that even
with the relatively poor systems we have at present (compared with what we know
will be possible in future since it only needs evolution, not revolution, in
the technology), the barrier to suspension has already become low. Now I am not
suggesting that we would be able to recreate exactly a particular person's
experience of going to a particular concert - at least, without Total Recall
type technology (and, despite the advances with fMRI technology we are a
loooong way off that) - but I do think we will be able to have a pretty good
shot at giving someone the experience of going to that concert themselves"

This is The Matrix, anything written by Philip K Dick, and before that, Plato
in his Cave metaphor.

It is essentially unprovable:

"...If physically perfected artificial three-dimensional auditory environments
were feasible, would the artificial product be as entirely realistic to
perception as the real thing? If not, what ingredient is missing?  If so, what
would philosophically distinguish real and artificial? Is such a distinction
necessary?"

"...Plato's metaphor for humans' grasp of reality as nothing more than shadows
on a cave wall, being constrained by the limitations of what is available to
sensation, is relevant today; especially for artificial environments. It is an
early example of one strand of thinking about perception as mediated by
sensation, inevitably a poor copy of reality. Whilst philosophers are entirely
comfortable with such thought experiments, there is no obvious pragmatic way to
investigate such speculations. By definition, if an artificial environment is
detectable as such, then it is imperfectly executed and the hypothetical
position has not been matched. On the other hand, if the artificial environment
were perfectly rendered, there would be no way to prove its artificiality." [
my thesis, some years ago]

So, maybe the whole point of making artificial environments is not that we can
perfect them, but that, in doing so, we come to understand more about the
perceptually relevant constituents of real environments. So it's the journey,
not the destination..?
Peter Lennox