From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Richard Dobson
Sent: 07 August 2012 12:09
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Can anyone explain this ?

Re odd things heard: is anyone here a regular watcher of "The Big Bang
Theory" show (E4, and on various cable channels)?  There is a standard
"sting" (a sort of semi-pitched noise cluster cum whoosh sort of thing,
little more than a second in length) used to transition from one scene
to the next.  My stereo TV (full HD but otherwise cheap 32" LCD type) is
in the corner of my lounge, and is in general not notable at all for
significant stereo effects, much less anything more "immersive".
Obviously, the built-in speakers (a generous 2 * 6W) are the typical
small tinny things.

However, that sting, fleeting as it is, seems to produce a significant
amount of pseudo-surround, very much ~not~ localised to the TV, such
that every time it is really rather surprising. One day I will have to
record and analyse it, but I haven't got around to that yet. Does anyone
have any idea if this is just a random emergent feature of the sound (TV
or room artifact), or has that effect been designed into it in some
discernible way?

Richard Dobson
..