The advantage of ACN is that it is a natural ordering of the HOA channels
described with a single number q=n^2+n+m+1 (with n the order and m the degree),
and it is aligned with pretty much any other field using spherical spectral
analysis (graphics, signal processing, physics, etc...) , making transfer of
knowledge from these fields to ambisonics much less confusing.

About ACN, if you are working on the more theoretical side of ambisonics, it is
the only normalization that makes sense again since it keeps the spherical
harmonics orthonormal and it simplifies most things on paper a lot! It can just
as well be kept as a standard, however conversion to other normalizations (such
as SN3D) are just a gain factor per order and very easy to do.

Regards,
Archontis

On 03 Apr 2016, at 10:51, Xavier Bonjour