On 10 April 2018 at 16:49, jack reynolds <jackreynolds...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fernando - is your A2B matrix for the octathingy first order?

On 04/10/2018 08:54 AM, jack reynolds wrote:
I've just noticed the second order function in A2B_matrix.m!

There is some preliminary 2nd order support in the current git (WXYZUV). I have quite a bit more that I have not checked in yet (bad programmer, I should do that more often!). Currently it derives WXYZSTUV, but of course that depends on having calibration measurements above and below the horizontal plane. A 1st order mic, because of its symmetry, can be calibrated with just horizontal plane measurements (much easier).

The current code is similar to what the 1st order calibration does, that is, it assumes coincident capsules and derives a static A to B matrix in a frequency range where the microphone array is well behaved, and then creates FIR filters for each component that try to compensate for the spacing of the capsules (same as Gerzon did a long time ago).

I actually should go back to my original approach (more complicated) for 1st order, which was to derive a 4x4 matrix of filters (which would be 8x8 for the 2nd order mic). The whole calibration software method needs a new/better approach, I think, this is hack I thought would not work at all :-)

In any case I'm working on the calibration for my second prototype. I really need a better calibration rig so that more stuff can be automated... I did a run on Friday but I did not notice the recorded levels were too low, stuff that happens when you are in a hurry...

-- Fernando

On 10 April 2018 at 06:37, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <