there are turbo yeasts available that will withstand
20%+. with sufficent vacuum you can boil water at
room temp. i would question whether the yeast's ability
to propagate (and therefore produce ethanol)would
be affected by a low vacuum.i think that you are
pursuing an interesting avenue of research. i will try
to dig up some info on boiling ethanol at different
vacuums.
          regards, roger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think yeast croak or really slow down at 14% or higher.(14%
> =28proof)
> >
>  That is also my understanding. The alcohol starts to kill the Yeast
> above 10%, and they are nearly all dead by 14%.
> On the temp side, 140F kills them off.
> That brings me back to the basis of my question. If I heat my
> fermentation tanks to (?)125F, so the yeast are still alive, how much
> vacuum will I need to apply to the tank, to start removing some of
> the Ethanol to keep the level below 10%?
> How much vacuum to do the same task at 100F? I would like to keep the
> Yeast alive and actively producing, without having to heat the
> massive quantities of water to do a traditional distillation.
>
> I'm trying to look ahead, at the whole process, and solve as many
> potential problems as I can see, before I start investing meager
> assets to it. I can overcome the heating problem rather economically.
> It's disposing of the heat after I've used it, that will be my
> shortcoming. I am trying to remove the heat disposal problem, by
> simply not putting the heat in to start with.
> I welcome any thoughts and commentary on my approach.
>
> Motie

> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM