I'll interpose my thoughts into the body of your message.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The relationship of pressure to yeast viability is an unknown to me
but if
> the liquid column is deep enough that should establish a viability
zone and
> a piece of filter (plastic or plasticized paper?) could keep all the
> yeasties happy below that barrier.
That sounds like an excellent thought to develop further. 2 feet
below the surface, the pressure is liable to be above normal
atmospheric pressure. Yeast viability under vacuum may well be a moot
point.

 As to vapor pressure I think you are
> asking what it boils at.
Yes. I know the boiling point at atmosphere, and it is too high for
the Yeast to survive. I want to reduce the pressure, to reduce the
boiling point of the Ethanol portion. I don't want to remove the
water.
> You will probably use less energy purifying by freezing rather than
> vaporizing
Freezing will kill the Yeast, stopping the fermentation process, and
raising the alcohol content above toxic levels for the Yeast, by
segregating the water in the solution. The alcohol will still be
there. I need to remove the alcohol, and do it at a fast enough rate
to keep the Yeast alive and fermenting vigorously. My current
temperature parameters are to keep the mix between 75F and 125F, with
95F probably being the ideal.

> I think freezing H2O only uses 1/3 as much energy as evaporating.
I believe you are correct, but I didn't thoroughly explain what I am
attempting to do. I don't want to simply distill the alcohol from a
finished ferment, I want to keep the ferment continuously active, and
remove the alcohol to keep it below toxic limits.

> Another way, since it can be slow, is a cold trap in a sealed
system. The
> alcohol will transport faster than the water.
> Vacuum systems where you pressurize the output of the pump in a
cold trap
> have the product going through a pump and contamination is a given.
If not
> for human consumption I suppose it doesn't matter but the energy
> requirements are higher than just a trap using ambient heat to
transport the
> product. It doesn't have to boil and the cold trap condenser heat
can be put
> back in the source vessel if using a refrigeration system.
Can you expand on this a bit? Are you pumping the liquid solution, or
just the vapors?

> If your tank is at 125 F I would think 75F would get condensate at
a good
> enough rate to keep concentration below yeast toxicity.
> Could get 75F probably by running household water through a tank
and then to
> house. Most water is 55F or so I would think. I assume you use the
sun to
> heat your tank. Slowest process of all but uses the least energy.
Putting heat in is not a problem. I'll use wood fired hot water to
put in the bare minimum needed.

> Just some meandering round Robin Hood's barn but I think there is a
seed or
> two in there.
Where or what is Robin Hood's Barn? A site for others with similar
interests?

> Kirk
Thanks for your input. Please don't stop now.
Motie

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM