Light trucks, heavy-duty pickup trucks, SUVs, Peterbilts (what be
they?) to take the boat to the lake, snowmobile trailers, Chevy
Dually 4X4 Ext cabs, fifth-wheel trailers...

Sorry, please don't take it personally, but I'm more exercised by
this: "The average American uses twice as much energy as the average
European or Japanese and 155 times as much as the average Nepalese."
My sympathies lie entirely with the Nepalese. Energy-junkie Americans
are driving the planet into its grave. This is not just a domestic
issue and nobody else's business. You guys are just going to have to
go cold-turkey on a few little items in your over-wheeled lifestyle
one of these days.

Re SUVs, and your other message about the Pinzgauer, I think your
needs are not exactly typical. Most SUV buyers are motivated by trend
and fashion, not real need. only to spend more than 36 hours a year
idling in city traffic jams - 1999 total of 4.5 billion hours of
delay and 6.8 billion gallons of excess fuel consumed, and rather
more than that in 2001, judging by the sales pattern.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/2001/study/short_report.stm
2001 Urban Mobility Study: The Short Version

I think the same can be said for the majority of US gas-guzzling and
energy use - it's just wasteful, for no good reason.

Oh yeah - yes, the Pinzgauer passes the market test, it's done well
for more than 20 years. But the US market test? Well, many of the
best vehicles don't pass that, do they? How many Audi A2's are on the
road there?

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/business/27DIES.html
"It Gets 78 Miles a Gallon, but U.S. Snubs Diesel", May 27, 2001

Or  Lupo 3L TDi's? And so on and on. If you look at the Mercedes Benz
G-wagen site, they're touting the 270 CDi diesel. But at the US
Mercedes site, it's the G-500 with the 292hp V8 gas engine, the
diesel isn't even offered. The diesel gets average 21.6 mpg, or 18.3
mpg in the city, the V8 gets average 14 mpg, or 10.8 mpg in the city,
where most of them probably spend most of their time. There's a big
diesel V8 too, the G-400 CDi, with similar oomph and more torque,
which averages 18.4 mpg, or 14.6 mpg in the city, but that also isn't
offered in the US.

Ah well... When Journey to Forever was still based at the Beach House
in Hong Kong, when I thought too much about these things I could go
for a stroll on the beach and find a wild water-buffalo to discuss it
with, which helped a lot. Sensible beasts - aka "The Asian tractor",
doesn't guzzle gas. Not many water-buffalo here in Osaka... Think
I'll buy a donkey and spend my time taking little Japanese kids for
rides in the park, that'd be fun.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects