There are an astounding number of people driving SUV's and pickups and vans
that do not need them. The "need" to haul more heavy, motorized things to
the lake for recreation drives the "need" for truck. I used to own a
13-tonne steel boat, a sort of floating cottage. Got rid of it. It was a
diesel, and quite thrifty on fuel, using much less than a typical ski boat -
but it just felt wrong. Almost got a Cummins and a 5th wheel. Then I drove
the truck for an hour and thought, "this is ridiculous".

Our family got a nice light canoe, and a tent (with good sleeping pads for
our somewhat out of shape, middle age bodies), and we have as much or more
fun with that as anything, mixing it up with stays in cabins and resorts.
Maybe we'll rent a power boat now and then.

We own a couple of long-lasting station wagons that get in the mid-thirties
for fuel economy, one's a diesel on SVO and it carries seven if necessary.
They carry good size loads, are comfortable on long trips, are very safe,
and can tow a small trailer if need be. We don't actually drive very much.
If I have to drive more, my wagon will go, and I'll be in a TDI. I live in
the mountains, but with good studded tires and sensible driving, I don't
really have a need for a 4X4. They are tempting, yes, but then I see them
off in the ditch or against a rock face more often than cars - the owners
are so often fooled into thinking they can drive too fast for the conditions
just because they have 4X4 - and can't make a curve or stop or manouver
quickly when they need to because they drive too fast. Ever tried to
manouver a  high  center of gravity, fast moving 4x4 in a skid on ice?
Forget it.

There are signs that some sanity may be returning to the automobile market.
More modern versions of station-wagon-like vehicles are emerging for those
who do not want the stigma of SUV or minivan, yet want roominess, the
ability to haul a few longer pieces of gear, even all wheel drive, with some
sportiness and fuel economy. The Jetta now comes as a wagon in the US, the
Toyota Matrix is an example, and I am struck by the similarity of the lines
of the Chrysler Pacifica, considered as an updated version of my old 83
300TD.

(But WHERE are those great, modern, small diesels from the US automakers?)

 Went for a ride on snowmobile the other day. Great day, wonderful mountain
trail, nice machine. It got boring and noisy after about an hour. So much
for that. Went and updated my cross country skis. Now when I go into the
bush, I get a little exercise and fresh air, peace and quiet.

All this motorized toy stuff is just a show of wealth and status "because we
can", because everyone else has one, and we can easily be made to feel left
out if we don't play the game. We watch the fishing, boating, RV shows etc.
on TV, sponsored by the makers of the trucks and toys, go to the mall and
see them displayed, and we think that represents the "good life". Bull.

I will say this, and folks can take it any way they want,(but really I don't
mean to offend) - if you think its all ok to have all this excessive
motorized crap in your life and the envirogreenies are a bunch of kooks that
don't know anything and are trying to spoil your fun, then you're simply
uninformed. Sorry, but you are.

Study the difficult stuff. It is an eye opener.  Look at it long enough and
think about the future - your kids are going to be living there, or someone
else's kids. You might start to feel differently about how many motors you
need around, what type they are, what they use for fuel, and how often you
use them. You might start to question other things that we accept and take
for granted in our lives as well.

If you really need them for work, fine. There was a traditional truck market
in North America for those that needed a truck. It was a small segment of
the automotive market. That's what is should be again.

(It's +2¼C in Saskatchewan this morning. Again. Middle of February.)

I'll be able to get the canoe out earlier this year.

I did not get here quickly or easily. I am a self-confessed car nut, and
grew up on cars, motorbikes, skidoos, dune buggies, and RV's. But something
drove me on in seeking some knowledge of the envinronmental situation we are
in. The more I studied it, the more sobering it became. Everyone wants to
have some recreation and fun, though.

 I just started looking for  transportation, activities and lifestyles that
made a little more sense, is all.

 You don't have to be a fanatic about it, just try to strike a better
balance. If millions of folks do that, (not even necesaary to go
"cold-turkey"), we'll be better off.

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca

> From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 01:51:17 +0900
> To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [biofuel] Re: US Senate panel can't reach deal on fuel standards
>
> Light trucks, heavy-duty pickup trucks, SUVs, Peterbilts (what be
> they?) to take the boat to the lake, snowmobile trailers, Chevy
> Dually 4X4 Ext cabs, fifth-wheel trailers...
>
> Sorry, please don't take it personally, but I'm more exercised by
> this: "The average American uses twice as much energy as the average
> European or Japanese and 155 times as much as the average Nepalese."

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM