Keith and all: I asked Pinzgauer about sales into Canada. Nope. I assume
same applies for the US. So we are stuck.

 Anyway, if someone wants a work truck to tow a bunch of cattle with or haul
a ton of fuel into the bush, it's been a long while since they've been able
to do it with a North American half-ton. 20 years or so, right? These things
have been getting progressively lighter for a long time. Standards applied
to light  trucks  that are really passenger vehicles with room for a couple
mountain bikes and few sheets of plywood, are not going to have much of an
effect on the real work truck market - those people have been buying 1 tons
(or topped up 3/4's) for a long time.

If the proposed standards are applied to those heavier trucks, then I agree
that that's wrong. Go after the millions of "Costcoburbia" pickups, and
leave the real work trucks alone so they are still  reaosnably capable and
do not wear out prematurely. Junkyards full of 10 year old trucks on their
way to crushers are not an eco-efficient solution.

BTW, has anyone got a bona fide reference to the oft-cited statement that
more energy goes into the production of vehicle than will be used in it, as
fuel, during its projected lifespan? I'd like to have that. I have heard it
many times, but where is the reference?

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca

> From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>