I'll interpose a few comments.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Neoteric Biofuels Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Anyway, if someone wants a work truck to tow a bunch of cattle
with or haul
> a ton of fuel into the bush, it's been a long while since they've
been able
> to do it with a North American half-ton. 20 years or so, right?
You're right. I only gave an extreme example. There are many jobs
that can be done around a farm or logging job, that a 1/2 ton pickup
can do. There are also many that they are too light for. I guess in
my mind, a pickup is a work vehicle. Many of our Metro brethren use
them for personal transportation, and occasional use for weekends
pulling a boat or hauling snowmobiles. Perhaps the fuel-efficiency
standards could be raised for 1/2 ton pickups. There should be a line
drawn there? 3/4 and heavier should NOT be reduced in their utility
function.

> These things
> have been getting progressively lighter for a long time. Standards
applied
> to light  trucks  that are really passenger vehicles with room for
a couple
> mountain bikes and few sheets of plywood, are not going to have
much of an
> effect on the real work truck market - those people have been
buying 1 tons
> (or topped up 3/4's) for a long time.
I agree. Maybe we need a definition of 'light truck', It's my
understanding that 1-ton and lighter are classified as 'light trucks'.

> If the proposed standards are applied to those heavier trucks, then
I agree
> that that's wrong. Go after the millions of "Costcoburbia" pickups,
and
> leave the real work trucks alone so they are still  reaosnably
capable and
> do not wear out prematurely. Junkyards full of 10 year old trucks
on their
> way to crushers are not an eco-efficient solution.
Although they are an inexpensive source of body parts for those of us
who use the heavier, longer-lasting versions, that tend to get bent
occasionally.

My concern is that the regulations will force those of us who use
light trucks, to be forced to use heavy trucks to do a job a light
truck is currently capable of doing more efficiently. I don't need a
10-wheeled Mack truck to carry 6 bales of hay, or pickup 6-100 pound
bags of salt from the farm supply store.
I shouldn't need to use a Peterbilt with a 48 foot Lowboy trailer to
haul a 10,000 pound skid-steer loader.

> Edward Beggs
> www.biofuels.ca

Motie