I would assume that since there are naturally some free fatty acids
in oil, that they would have combined with some of the glycerol to
make monoglycerides.  If you also assume that there is a sort of
equilibrium system going on, then the more glycerol means that the
reaction is driven to create more oil molecules and leave less fatty
acids.  Does that make any sense?  I hope so...

JEFF

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "t_watchornnz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Back in December there was some talk on this subject by Paul Gobert
> and others. The subject being to use glycerine which still has some
> methanol and NAOH content to pre-treat oil used for bio-diesel.
>
> Has anyone done further experiments? I would like to give it a go.
>
> I did try mixing 1 litre of glycerine with 1 litre of used Canola
oil
> at about 50 degC, mixing by hand now & then over an hour. After 24
> hours had about 250 mil Esters, 900 mil oil, 850 mil glycerine. Was
> surprised to see lest glycerine than oil. The oil layer had yellowy
> aerated look, and has stayed that way after 6 days (it was clean
> clear looking to start with)
> I presume it is just the oily middle layer that you then go on to
> process with the usual methods.
>
> I would welcome any pointers and guidance on the subject. I have
> about 150 litres in plastic pails I want to process.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM