----- Original Message -----
From: "t_watchornnz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The SG results form my tests with pre-treated oil are as follows.
> Note all are unwashed except for the normal brew sample:
>
> Test 1, 20 mil (8%) methanol. SG 0.9111
> Test 2, 25 mil (10%) methanol. SG 0.9051
> Test 3, 32 mil (13%) methanol. SG 0.9036
> Test 4, Same as test 2 using another mix of preteat oil. SG 0.9056
> My normal brew using 17% meth and titration + 1.4 grams. SG 0.8946
(snip)
SGs all a bit on the low side indicating only partial transesterification.

> What SG number should we be aiming for?
(snip)
Trevor it depends upon whether you are wanting to sell the BD or just make
it for your own consumption. If you are going to sell it it makes sense to
conform to standards.
International standards range from 0.875 to 0.90 for the DIN E 51606
(German) standard to 0.85 to 0.89 for the ON C1191 (Austrian) standard.
(These figures are for tests at 15 deg C).
Remember this is on washed BD.  Unreacted methanol in unwashed BD will lower
the SG unrealistically.

> Do you have any info on viscosity measuring?
Lacking a commercial viscometer I use a 100ml bulb pipette.
The pipette is filled to above the graduation mark with the BD to be tested.
A stopwatch is used to record the draining time from when the BD passes the
graduation till the discharge changes from a stream to drops.
Repeatability of this test is within hundredths of a second.
The results act as a guide to relative viscosities of different samples, the
only liquids of known viscosity which I have run through it are 20 grade
auto transmission fluid and water.
 SAE 20 auto transmission fluid      130 seconds
Water                                                   25.9 secomds
Diesel fuel (distillate).                        30.3 seconds.
waste cottonseed oil                            147.3 seconds
Used Blended vegetable oil                149.3 seconds.

Results from a trial involving set methanol level and variation in NaOH
levels.

Feedstock waste animal fat (Frytol), titration 2.2ml 0.1% NaOH  ie optimum
level of NaOH 5.7g/litre.
Methoxide, 225ml /litre methanol in all cases. Conc aqueous NaOH solution
added to methanol. NaOH levels equivalent to
4.2g/l,4.7,5.2,5.7,6.3,6.8,7.3,7.8,8.3g/litre.
Results for washed and filtered product  (no heat drying).
NaOH    SG        Viscosity
g/L                        seconds.
4.2        0.8798        37.96
4.7        0.8774        36.89
5.2        0.8745        35.68
5.7        0.8722        35.90
6.3        0.8708        34.86
6.8        0.8697        34.73
7.3        0.8683        34.30
7.8        0.8711        34.48  (experimental error?)
8.3        0.8685        34.11.

Regards,
Paul Gobert.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY