Todd- I have considered your points of contention since last night and also
did some research today.

As to your first point, let me stress that this production is by the
municipality strictly for use by the municipality within the limits of the
municipality. No sale of product would ever transpire.  I talked with people
from USDOT, Alabama DOT and Alabama DOR. All said that they knew of no
reason why we could not do this. I was unable to reach the regional person
with the EPA.

I don't quite understand your second point (thick headed) but this is what I
think may apply. I believe that the intent of that language is to tax
vehicles which could normally be expected to make regular use of state and
federal roads. I certainly could be wrong about that, but again, none of the
agencies I spoke with seemed to think it was a problem. The bit of reading I
did on the regulations focused on the sale and distribution of fuel with no
mention of production for in house use.

Your third point is well made, however, I know something about these kinds
of laws. They are in place to prevent government agencies from competeing
with private businesses in the marketplace. There is no law that I am aware
of that prohibits these agencies from producing any type of goods or
services for their own consumption. I don't pretend that local businesses
who have enjoyed the business that they receive from the city will be glad.
But, the goverment should do what is best for the public interest.

Finally, the only thing I can say to the commercial biodiesel producer is
that there is no profit involved. Taxes paid by the government to the
government is trading paper and thus inefficient. Also those taxes will come
out of the public coffers. I am pretty sure that at least the public will
support this idea. Much easier to get public support in a small community.

I understand your frustration with lawyers and bureaucrats getting their 2
cents in (or out), but I can't let that deter me in this attempt. Maybe
someone in the right place will do the right thing.

Bill C.