"The spirit of nationality is a sour ferment of the old wine of
tribalism in the new bottles of democracy."

Within which neither works out too well. "Nations" are an
anachronism, and have been for quite a long time, leading to a very
large proportion of the problems, destruction, corruption, and indeed
lack of democracy in the world today. Is there even really such a
thing as a "nation"? What do people relate to? By the time you start
rallying to a flag, you've been well and truly spun. What you feel
for, on the other hand, is your town, your neighbourhood, your
valley, not those weird people in the next town. We have to outgrow
this rather recent, cobbled-together, misbegotten concept of
"nations". And sod the Skunk Hollow weirdos in the next valley - but
you'd probably be thrilled to pair off as sister-cities with those
nice foreign folks in Outer Otjiwarongo, well-known as you are for
your kindness and hospitality to strangers.

So, Curtis, before Whitey arrived, what sort of place was this
delusion you call "America"? The Native Americans would have looked
at the "nation" you now hang a flag of pride over in much the same
way as you're looking at what Hakan proposes, no? Would they have
been wrong? Maybe not... considering what many people, including many
Americans, are saying about the behaviour of the American government
of today - a New World Order global government by default, and not
one to be trusted. To put it more strongly, one that isn't at all
trusted, not even by Americans - perhaps especially not by Americans.
And there's not a thing anyone can do about it. Out of control, a
rogue at large.

 From The Washington Times a couple of days ago - not exactly a
left-wing propaganda sheet:

"If Americans do not increasingly come to understand that this nation
is at risk because of the international animosity and disdain
building against us, then, ultimately, those reactions and conditions
are likely to reach back and do further damage to the domestic issues
that so dominate politics."
http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20021106-16015406.htm
Policy issues not found on ballots

One World, yes - the only way forward. It's only in America that you
find this terror of the "global government", a peculiarly American
paranoia that makes no real sense. A Cold War hangover maybe. Anyway,
I don't think it's a global government as such that's being proposed.

It's not just Hakan who proposes what he proposed, not at all, it
goes back a long way, as he intimated, and in many ways it's THE
great debate of the age. We ought to start finding some solutions,
and right sharpish, while we still have the chance. The UN was
emasculated from the start - by the very nations who then
conveniently claim it doesn't work, never mind that that's the way
they wanted it, and still do, so they can tilt the playing field
their way and call it "level".

How many UN resolutions on the Middle East has the US vetoed? And if
it hadn't? Would the crisis have grown and grown the way it has to
the lethal and intractable problem it's now become? Almost certainly
not.

Hakan's dead right, no matter how much many Americans might struggle
with the idea. Yes, give me a world where Bush and Putin et al are
only "governors" any time. Make it soon!

Keith