Harmon Seaver wrote:

>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, venkat gasn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > HELLOW  MR  FRIEND,
> > YES U CAN CONVERT YOUR PETROL ENGINES TO DIESEL INJECTION MODE,
> > BUT LIFE OF PISTON ,RINGS, SLEEVES WILL BE LESS,
> > DONT WOREY ABOUT COMPRESION RATIOS AS WOOD GAS WORKES ON
>LOWCOMPRESION RATIOS.
>
>   Woodgas does not work well in low-compression engines. Yes, you can
>get them to run, but woodgas works best in diesel engines, the higher
>compression the better. Even in a spark ignition engine, you really
>need to raise the compression to at least 13:1 if you want any sort of
>decent power off the woodgas.

Other way round actually.

2.1.1 Possibilities of using producer gas with different types of engines

Spark ignition engines, normally used with petrol-or kerosene, can be
run on producer gas alone. Diesel engines can be converted to full
producer gas operation by lowering the compression ratio and the
installation of a spark ignition system. Another possibility is to
run a normal unconverted diesel engine in a "dual fuel" mode, whereby
the engine draws anything between 0 and 90 per cent of its power
output from producer gas (17), the remaining diesel oil being
necessary for ignition of the combustible gas/air mixture. The
advantage of the latter system lies in its flexibility: in case of
malfunctioning of the gasifier or lack of biomass fuel, an immediate
change to full diesel operation is generally possible.

However, not all types of diesel engines can be converted to the
above mode of operation. Compression ratios of ante-chamber and
turbulence chamber diesel engines are too high for satisfactory dual
fuel operation and use of producer gas in those engines leads to
knocking caused by too high pressures combined with delayed ignition
(20). Direct injection diesel engines have lower compression ratios
and can generally be successfully converted.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/T0512E/T0512e00.htm
Wood gas as engine fuel, Mechanical Wood Products Branch, Forest
Industries Division, FAO Forestry Department, 1986, ISBN 92-5-102436-7

See also:

The Gengas Page:
http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/index.shtml

The making of the KŠlle-gasifier by Torsten KŠlle, Royal Swedish
Academy of Engineering, 1942 (Translation to English 2000, Joacim
Persson:
http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

>   And he's talking about diesel fuel, not woodgas.

Um, gasoline, not diesel fuel.

Keith