Hi Keith

Yes, I am building the car, well, more accurately gutting and converting a
previous
ICE machine.  (1973 Porsche 914 chosen because it is small, light and
relatively
simple mechanically and most parts are still available after-market).

The electric motor is installed.  Battery compartment is designed, and
batteries
selected but not purchased.  Motor controller selected, but not purchased.
Grid-
connection charger purchased, but not yet received.  The electrics come easily
me - I currently drive an all-electric Fiero conversion, and also have an
electric
tractor, boat and motorcycle, and another EV project on the go besides the
hybrid.

On the ICE side, I want to wait to see how much power is consumed at highway
cruising speed, then purchase an air-cooled diesel generator to match the
requirement.  The 914 is originally an air-cooled system, so if I want to
utilize
the heat, air-cooled makes more sense.  Also less weight and plumbing issues.

Current estimates suggest 8-10 kW should do it.  120 volts AC RMS at 80 amps
across
a bridge rectifier and a ripple capacitor should be a reasonable match for the
144
volt main traction pack.  The engine will have to have electric (remote) start
capability and switch-off ability.  The diesel will not be part of the drive
train -
 just a means of supplying electric power to the battery bank.  It is also not
intended to be the primary charger.  In normal urban driving, the generator
should
not be required - grid charging should be sufficient.

The car is currently in a body shop to bring the body back up to good condition
and
painting.

Once I have it back, I should be able to start working on the wiring harnesses
and
instrumentation.

While I have been interested in biodiesel for a few years, this vehicle has
become
my real impetus for starting up my own brewing, as there is no local supply,
but
plenty of WVO about.  I used to sit on a citizen's committee for the municipal
landfill, so methods of diverting "waste" from landfill and into reuse and
recycling opportunities is also near to my heart.

I hope to have my 1-liter test production line up and running by the end of the
month.  Scaling up comes after that, hopefully by summertime.

Darryl McMahon          48 Tarquin Crescent,
Econogics, Inc.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 It's your planet.      Voice: (613)784-0655
 If you won't look      Fax:   (613)828-3199
 after it, who will?    http://www.econogics.com/