I think that the success of Hydrogen, either via ICE or Fuel Cell will
entirely depend on public acceptance.  The CNG technology has been out for
quite some time for home an puplic infructure use and it's acceptance is
marginal as far as alternative fuels go, mostly in fleets at best. What
will change the common idea that gaseous fuel is better than liquid fuel,
when people are somewhat suspect of gaseous fuels (especially Hydrogen,
"remember the Hindenburg...")?  I don't think there is enough push for any
gasious fuels to make a large dent in the liquid fuels stranglehold.  I
think that a pure EV solution has a better chance than any gaseous fuel
due to the public acceptance of plugging household appliances in on a
routine basis.  Not often to I have to "filler up" or plug in my NG stove,
dryer, water heater.  Those things are seen as more a 'have a professional
install it once and let it go' type of technology.  Electricity is
ubiqiteous.  Liquid fuels are also.  Sometimes I do have to fill up the
BBQ propane tank, but that is every 3 months or so, so my experience is
not weekly.  It's more about commonality and habit.

James Slayden