>Presumably he is referring to fuel cells, and not combustion.  So we are
>actually
>talking about fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs).  As you stated, hydrogen is
>not
>a biofuel, nor is it likely to be produced from biofuels in any significant
>quantity.  Today, most is derived from petroleum production, and the next most
>likely major source is electrolysis (requiring electricity).  I'll be happy to
>discuss fuel cells, electric vehicles and electrical generation with you
>off-line
>or on another list (EVs, hydrogen fuel, fuel cells), but I don't think this is
>the
>appropriate place.

I think that's a bit too strong.  I know of no clear evidence
demonstrating can't or shouldn't be considered, alongside other simple
hydrocarbons or alcohols or whatever, as potential fuel cell fuels.  I
can only surmise that the reason that they aren't often named as
candidates, alongside other somewhat similar fuels is that they're not
petroleum industry products.  *All* similar products presently under
consideration as potential fuel cell fuels are Petroleum Industry
products with the exception of water.

So, it's ok for GM to talk about making such a big effort to use
gasoline as a fuel for a fuel-celled vehicle, but why not ethanol?
Methanol is *definitely* under consideration as an important fuel cell
fuel.

I'd love to see some primitive fuel cells put on the market more
readily just so the folks here can do some experimenting to see if
they can't make some of their biofuels work in them.  I imagine some
fuel cells are more available than last I checked, but I don't know.

I'm not sure why you say most H2 is derived from Petroleum Production.
Perhaps it is.  I thought that most was presently derived from Natural
Gas production and that a reason that the Petroleum Industry liked
some of the H2 talk was that it would enhance the value of that asset.
That's what I heard at a Texaco lecture anyway.

You seem knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm not saying you don't
have some good points about relevance and such.  I just want to make
my point that, having followed some of the political-economic
goings-on for awhile myself, I think biofuels are often ignored
because of their derivation, not their chemical appropriateness or
inappropriateness.  I think Keith would allow some fuel cell talk and
allow for its relevance if we were to examine whether biofuels could
be used in fuel cells.