> I just wanted to help you out here after reading your response to Curtis's
(Csakima) email. What I believe he was trying to say is simply this. SUV's
do not have to be the gas guzzlers that most of them are to day. That they
could be engineered to be much more fuel efficient than what they are today.
And he is ABSOLUTEY correct. He never said that they could be made to be
more fuel efficient than smaller lighter vehicles.

- This is a valid point, however the question of "why" remains. I believe
that the sooner the death of the SUV arrives, the better. I would hazard a
guess that if the SUV became uncool, virtually SUV owners would be quite
content with a lower, sleeker vehicle that, because of the inherent power
draw of the 4wd drivetrain and bigger wheels, got better mileage.  Few SUV
owners really "need" an SUV. The ones who do don't necessarily want a
watered down version. If people are content with the low ground clearance of
a sleeker SUV, the aerodynamics of a wagon type body, the reduced rotational
mass of smaller, lighter tires, I ask - what's the point? By trying to make
the vehicle more car-like, you are making it more car like. The current
trend of CRV, Rav 4, Kia, etc, is proof that people don't need a real 4wd.
They need a subaru station wagon.

> I did not see where Curtis ever stated that he had better knowledge of
engine theory than most automotive manufacturers. But who are you to infer
that he does not? The fact is they already know how to do this they just
don't. It cost more money to make them more fuel efficient.

- Perhaps I was out of line. However, I personally think that automakers are
doing a great job of offering people what they want. If there was demand for
fuel efficient cars that are all wheel drive and get awesome mileage, they
would make some. If everyone just work up and stopped buying these useless
SUVs, and decided to get good little cars, we would have a lot more choice.

J-L