Dear Jean-Leon,

Personally I am passionate about energy saving, but I do not
think that the real and big problem with SUV is the consumption
of fuel. This assuming that it is a special vehicle and used for
activities that it is designed for and you are obviously doing that.

It is a problem created by the US automotive industry, with a
substantial support by the US governments, past and present,
left and right.

The reason was the idea to find a niche of vehicles where the
technical demands on safety and fuel economy was low and
also where the competition from imports was minimal. By this
the automotive industry could appeal to the American taste for
BIG vehicles and do that at a low cost with the classification
as trucks. A very smart and as we know it have been very
successful, built on some special unique conditions in the
US market that did not exist in the competitors home markets,

- Very low fuel prices, not present in Europe and Japan.
- Lack of special driving licence for trucks in US.
- Lower demands on safety design, with low manufacturing cost.
- The American taste for Bells and whistles in utility vehicles.
- The American firm belief in that size matters.
- Lack of compatible vehicle designs with competition.
- Corporate tax exemptions and subventions.

Very well aware of that selling automobiles is completely
dependent on marketing, they set about to sell SUV with the
usual arguments of size, sex and freedom. This possible to
do without such minor problems as safety and fuel economy.
The US administration supported with tax exemptions and
lists of which vehicles who could get them. This despite that
it was a trade off between American jobs against American lives.

Anyone have to see the successful smartness in it, even if we
have different views about such details as sustainable society
and preservation of lives. The American society and people must
take care of the hangover after such moves and it can be some
substantial problems. It is a price for being manipulated against
the interest of the people.

The idea of having a second car for commuting is both a responsible
and economical alternative. Tell me if you can find choices of American,
clean, small and fuel efficient diesels for your purpose.

The whole discussion with rational arguments, is only valid for a few.
Since the human instinct is to find rational arguments for emotional
choices (basics in advertising and marketing courses), those
arguments are generally used and without validity.

Hakan