I think that we have the same situation both in Europe and US on
the insurance side. The only country that i think have a sort of
personal liability option is UK. Maybe there are others that I have
not heard about.

On the other hand, the fuel price + tax in Europe are so high, that
if it was the same in US, it would be a civil war instead instead
of an Iraqi one. The purchase tax (often called the real road tax)
is substantially higher in Europe also.

Taken together, it is a part in the equation that makes European
cars more fuel efficient and the larger use of clean diesels.
http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/dieseltech.shtml

It is a lot more to say about economics etc., but I will leave that
to an other occasion. Shortly it can be said that many belive that
the cheap oil in US is fueling not only the cars, but also the US
economy.

Hakan