John Hayes writes:

>Second, a poll on the journeytoforever website is a non-random
>sample due to the nature of individuals that choose to visit that type
>of site in the first place. Thus, it has what we would call "limited
>external validity". That is, it would do a great job of telling you
>the opinions of the people that responded but you can't generalize
>from those results to a population. Without the ability to generalize,
>it has little utility and, as such, is a waste of time.

Yes and no. One interesting benefit of a poll like that -- it can cause
you to question certain associations that you may have thought
unassailable. Consider the question, "do people who have an interest in
X feel this particular way about Y?" I have an interesting result of
my own based on this very listgroup -- I had never realized that
people who are interested and maybe even committed to biofuels might
have a number of ideas about government and society that I would call
pretty far "right-wing". Seeing this association (or lack of :-)) has
caused me to re-examine some of my other assumptions that various
such ideas are clearly "stupid" -- this person is smart about ONE
thing, maybe they're not so stupid about THIS one..... Mind you, some
of 'em are still wacko, but at least I took another look  :-).

Also, every poll on earth is biased depending on how far EXTERNAL
you go in "limited external validity". Ask every human on the planet
about caring for the rainforest, and you still won't know what all
the parrots in there think.    -K

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM