Hello Andrew

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:55:10 -0500, "John Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>said:
> > >

> > Such a poll would be useless given selection bias issues inherent to
> > nonrandom sampling....
>
>Would you expand on this a little?
>
> > Besides, do you really need a straw poll to conclude
> > that the majority of list readers are against this war?
> >

>Given that the most active posters appear to be, excuse ommissions, Keith
>Addison,
>Motie D, Hakan, Steve Spence, Murdoch, csakima, girl mark... that leaves
>I guess
>rather a lot of people who aren't saying much.

There are a LOT more posters than that, probably about 200-250 fairly
regular contributers, many more if you extend it to occasional. It
shifts, people leave, they're replaced by newcomers. but it's usually
well above 10% of membership, which I think is about the average for
mailing lists. A lot of the lurkers are less silent than they seem -
many of them communicate with me and with other people off-list.

>In addition there is an
>amount
>from time to time redneck opinions. So, well, no it isn't so obvious
>to me who is or isnt the majority. Not too bothered either. I'm very much
>against
>the war; stinks of hypocrisy.

A couple of pro-war Brits maybe, though they seem to be a rare breed,
perhaps an Australian or two, perhaps not. I think virtually everyone
else would be against the war except Americans, who're not a majority
of the list membership, and most of them are anti-war anyway. I'd say
John's almost certainly right.

"Rednecks" (is that an abusive term or not? - I dunno) seem to be
generally intolerant of other views than their own and inclined to be
noisy and chauvinistic about it. A bit like this:

Which Side Of The Media Is Inclusive? - Conservative Media Don't Want
To Hear From The 'Other Guy'
http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/7355

So their opinions here might be disproportionate to their numbers.

Best

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM