Andrew Lowe wrote:

>       I think you are getting a bit carried away with "computer
>control of vehicles" when a bit of common sense will nearly halve the
>US road toll. By way of example, lets compare and contrast Australia
>with the USA.
>
>       Both countries are affluent, with high standards of living,
>literacy,  numeracy and media penetration. Both countries also have
>similar attitudes towards automobiles. The populations are roughly
>280.5M, USA, Vs 19.5M, Australia. The death rate, for 2002, in the
>US is 42850, as reported above whilst in Australia it is 1725,
>according to http://www.atsb.gov.au. As a ratio this works out at:
>
>1 death per 6546 in the USA
>    Vs
>1 death per 11304 in Australia
>
>This means that you are nearly twice as likely to die on the roads in
>the US as you are in Australia. Why is this so? The answer can
>plainly be seen when you take into account the fact that Australia
>has compulsory seat-belt and motorcycle helmet laws and random
>breath testing with a limit, in most state of 0.05.

There are random "sobriety checks" where I live.

>       So where does that leave us? Australia has a death rate on
>the roads that is constantly, except for a one year "blip". trending
>down whilst from my reading of the article, seems to be trending up.
>Isn't it time that the US took some action on these simple to
>introduce measures and stopped both the carnage and cost instead
>of waiting for "Robby the Robot" to drive them around ?
>
>       Regards,
>               Andrew

Who is waiting for robby the robot to drive them around? Is that the
general consensus because one person is interested in it?
Did you take into account road densities and traffic density? The US has
more intersecting highways through large cities than Australia, with
more cars driving on them.

--
---
Martin Klingensmith