On Thu, 1 May 2003 09:50 am, Hakan Falk wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> I think we can discuss which type of statistics that is
> the right one and the truth is that it is no single one that
> give a complete picture.

Do we all agree that it is too high a figure?

aside:  about 2 years ago there was a beatup media story here about airbags
killing dogs and children and it being safer not to install them.  Turns out
the story was taken direct from the US news feeds without references to the
differences in driving behaviour between the US and Australia.  Now, I don't
know this for sure, but I get teh impression that seatbelts are fairly much
regarded as optional in the US, where as in Australia they have been
compulsory for so long it is habitual.  I was told the reason for the high
incident of airbag deaths was because in the US (with low seat belt use) they
were the _primary_ restraint mechanism (trigger threshold set at ~10 kph)
where as in Oz they are definitely the secondary restraint (trigger threshold
set at ~30 kph - I.e. will not deploy if the car is going less than 30 kph).

Like I said I do not know if this is the whole truth, but there you go... I
for instance can see problems if you are a stationary vehicle being
impacted.... *shrug*

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM