  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 6:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] BD as Lube oil for two stroke gasoline engine

  Hi Quinn

  >Can someone please tell me what "2T" means in regards to oil?  Is it what
we
  >here in GA call "2-cycle" oil?  Or am I way off base?  Often I follow
these
  >threads with only the faintest glimpse of what is going on because of the
  >'insider lingo.'   (Chemistry, engines, etc...)
  >
  >No, Keith, you don't have to be a rocket scientist.  But I bet it would
  >help.  ; )

  I bet it wouldn't. More likely it'd be largely or entirely
  superfluous, perhaps even a hindrance - this is Appropriate
  Technology stuff, KISS, which rocket science isn't too good at. Would
  it help a whole lot in figuring how to clean up the wash-water in a
  simple greywater system? Or rigging a washing tank from a 55-gal drum
  or a plastic garbage bucket or defunct washing machine whatever you
  happen to find lying about the place? This stuff isn't much more
  complicated than baking bread, if any. I'm a journalist, not a
  techie, I don't have any technical training of any kind, I think the
  same applies to many/most biofuellers. It doesn't stop you from
  learning. There's a lot to learn (as there is about baking bread),
  but I don't think there's anything at our website that you won't be
  able to understand because you don't have technical qualifications -
  understand and do. "We're not chemists, and if we can make it anyone
  can," it says at Journey to Forever. "Anybody can make biodiesel.
  It's easy, you can make it in your kitchen... " "It's all quite
  simple really, thousands of people are doing it, very few of them are
  chemists or technicians, and there's nothing a layman can't
  understand, and do, and do it well." We wrote that four and a half
  years ago, just as true now as it was then. Biodiesel certainly isn't
  my main interest in life (nor JtF's either, come to that), if I can
  do it, so can you.

  Anyway, it's not "insider lingo", there's not too much of that here.
  For instance, I guess this would be a dumb question for an American:
  what's "2-cycle" oil? (Is that what you use on a bicycle? Do you need
  a different type of oil for tricycles?) Do you know what "DERV" is?
  It's not insider tech-jargon, everybody in Britain knows what DERV is
  - petroleum diesel fuel (though it stands for Diesel Engine Road
  Vehicle). Do you know what an MoT is? This is the global Internet,
  that's all, and it's a global subject.

  I just got totally confused on another list, and another topic,
  because an American there was talking about TN and sustainability.
  What kind of organic growing system is "TN"? Never heard of it.
  (Where's "GA"? Never heard of that either.)

  If you search for "2T oil" at Google, the first hit you get tells you
  it's 2-stroke oil. Do you talk about 2-strokes in the US, or only
  2-cycle?

  Best

  Keith

  >Thanks,,