<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Pieter,

Yours' was a reasonable question. I don't think it put anyone off.

Why would anyone want to use a process that requires an extra stage? That is
presuming that the presently used process is yielding similar results.

That is the 64,000 dollar question. Six to twenty percent higher yield is a
pretty good reason. Less failed reactions, less chemical inputs, less need
to salvage batches. Less worry as to whether or not a batch is complete. All
are pretty good reasons as well.

Nothing is more disappointing (especially after having become familiar with
acid/base) to see one-third of your reactor filled with glycerin cocktail
after conducting a straight base reaction and then putting those contents
side by side with an acid/base reaction with the same oil and comparing the
amount of glycerin cocktail between the two.

It's not that there's more glycerin volume between the two, but soap - which
would be okay if soap is what you're after.

I would encourage anyone using WVO as a feedstock to work towards acid/base
and the other processes after the reaction, such as alcohol recovery, FFA
recovery (glycerol recovery) and waste water treatment.

All of these combined make for a complete process. Unfortunately, probably
90% of the home biodieselers stop with the reaction and pay no heed either
to increasing their yields or dealing with their co-products ("waste"
products).

Todd Swearingen