Hello Lillie, welcome

>I just discovered the wealth of information about biodiesel and am beside
>myself with excitement! There seems to be a large number of really smart
>people sharing their discoveries and I am very, very grateful. Thanks
>everyone!
>
>We don't have any diesel equipment yet but will be buying a tractor this
>spring. We have 75 acres of woods and will have plenty of room to do all
>kinds of stuff but it will take some time to get a retirement home built
>with an out building for processing. We will probably buy some commercial
>fuel at the start which will give us some nicely labeled storage tanks. I'd
>like to get diesel everything!

Good for you!

>I imagine that WVO can get very rank.

It can, eventually, but I think most people use it up quite fast
rather than storing it for very long. Sometimes it's very rank when
you get it. :-( You can still make biodiesel with it though (while
looking for a better source of oil).

>How do people deal with that? What
>about the sludge that comes from prefiltering it; compost it, burn it or
>both?

We compost it. (We burn the glycerine by-product, for heating, and
for pre-heating the oil prior to processing.)

>I bet we'll be buying the WVO in the future as more and more people
>get into this. It won't take donors long to realize they can not only get
>rid of the waste but recover some of their cost as well.

Only about 10% of the supply is accounted for in the US and the rest
wasted in one way or another - same for the other industrialised
countries. With BSE (Mad Cow Disease) the demand for WVO is likely to
go down - a major reuse is as livestock feed, but it usually contains
animal fats and there's growing resistance to this practice.

>With the Foolproof Method, is there any way to shorten the 3 week standing
>time for clarification with extra processing?

That doesn't only apply to the Foolproof method. To clarify (dry)
biodiesel made by any method, after finishing the wash, try heating
it to 45 deg C (113F), if it goes cloudy again do it a second time,
but it shouldn't go cloudy after the first time - it would mean you
should improve your processing. You'll accomplish the same end in
little more time without using more energy for heating by letting it
stand in the sunshine for a while.

Please note that the "Foolproof" acid-base two-stage method is an
advanced process, not for novices. Start here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

>Finally, what do people use to accurately measure larger quanties of the raw
>materials?

Measuring small quantities for test batches is more exacting, larger
batches are easy. For larger quantities we use postal scales to weigh
the lye, it measures up to 800 grams accurately, and we pre-measured
and marked various containers for methanol and WVO.

Best wishes

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511